Halong Bay is always on list of must-visit destinations in Vietnam. Thanks to magnificent beauty with a harmonious combination of mountains, islands, caves, and beaches. Halong Bay attracts a large of tourists by interesting activities such as swimming, climbing or visiting some famous caves. Among them the most favored activity in Halong Bay is kayaking. Most cruises in Halong Bay offer kayaking. How to have a memorable kayaking moment in Halong? Explore some tips on kayaking in Halong Bay now.
Explore tips on kayaking in Halong Bay
Kayaking is the best way to explore the breathtaking beauty of Halong Bay
Kayaking in Halong Bay is the best way to explore the breathtaking beauty of Halong Bay. With kayaking, you can have chance to paddle through islets; visit hidden caves, lagoons, unspoiled beaches and floating fishing village, etc and kayak go where other big boats cannot. When kayaking, you must follow the tour guide; it is risky to do by yourself without warning or instruction. The tour guide will help you use paddle and guide you to the safe area. I will give some tips on kayaking in Halong Bay for you in order that you can have the most wonderful experience with kayaking.
Step 1: Prepare before kayaking – important step
– Necessary things: Life vests, water, sun cream, dry bag, camera, insect repellent.
You should prepare suitable clothes before kayaking
– Carefully follow the instructions and conditions before kayaking wear the life vest and use the dry bag (put on it your phone, camera, etc).
– Prepare suitable clothes: T-shirt and short, swimming suit in the summer; warm clothes in the winter; wet shoes, hat, sunglasses. Halong Bay water is pretty warm during winter so feel free to kayaking anytime of the year. However, you should keep yourself warm after you are done with the activity to avoid catching a cold.
– Keep a suitable distance with the others, not too far, keep in sight with the others, and avoid getting loss.
– Even if you are an experienced kayaker, don’t come too close to caves and karsts. They might suck you in. There are reports of people getting sucked into caves and it took from 30 minutes to hours to rescue them. (Especially in Dark cave).
– Never kayaking while being intoxicated. Drinking will dull your sense and might lead to unfortunate accident. There incidents of people drown because of swimming after consuming a large amount of alcohol.
– For the children should be follow the tour guide and their parents. Sit still in the kayak; do not move in front of or behind.
– Children under 5 years old are suggest not using kayak.
Step 2: When you kayaking
– It is very important to follow your tour guide, listen to the route, time and rules.
– Check with your tour guide the weather, tide and wind strength to have the best and safest route.
You should check with your tour guide the weather, tide and wind strength to have the best and safest route
– Keep away from the places which have strong flow, against the wind; take advantage of the wind strength and flow.
Step 3: Handle unexpected situations
– Adjust the speed of the whole group if any of the members is out of sight.
– In case the kayak capsizes, passengers need to swim a bit, and then take the water out of the kayak with the help of the tour guide. He will catch the kayak; take the water out by putting your kayak on his in the T- shape. After that, he will put the kayak back into the water; keep it still so that passengers can be on the kayak again.
– If there is an expected storm, find the safest place in the sheltered areas, beaches, etc to avoid the storm. In case passengers are in the middle of the sea and cannot find a safe place, passengers need to be gathered to make a raft.
Kayaking is extremely an interesting activity in Halong Bay. You also can enjoy kayaking for Halong 1- day tour however you only have about 15 to 20 minutes for kayaking at the small floating village (Ba Hang village). Normally with the tour 2 days 1 night, you also have chance to kayak at Luon Cave, kayak though this cave can bring you an impressive feeling. If you like kayaking, 3 days 2 nights cruises is a best choice, you will have more time to explore Lan Ha Bay as well as have more than 3 hours for kayaking.
3 days 2 nights Halong Bay cruises is a best choice to spend a lot of time on kayaking
Kayaking is generally assumed to be very safe in these calm waters of Halong Bay but there is still some areas and warnings that you should avoid and listen to the tour guide. So you should obey some above steps about kayaking in Halong Bay in order to have a safe and wonderful trip.